Linux System Administrator
A passionate, highly experienced, and detail oriented system administrator with advanced knowledge of Windows and Linux. Experienced with medium-sized enterprise level network design; Linux and Windows system administration; systems analysis and integration; network security; user configuration and management; technical support; and computer maintenance.
- Linux System Administration
- AWS Cloud Administration
- PostgreSQL Database Administration
- Ruby Shell Scripting
- Windows System Administration
- Active Directory and Group Policy
- Administers, configures, maintains, and develops ~100 CentOS Linux-based production servers, PostgreSQL databases, and all aspects of associated AWS cloud infrastructure, including AMI creation, EC2 instance configuration, RDS, VPC configuration, CloudWatch monitoring, S3 backups, and asset tracking.
- Performs in-depth investigations of system faults to determine root causes and develops system solutions to mitigate and resolve identified issues.
- Designs and engineers new internal systems, establishing business design requirements and researching, developing, and evaluating multiple solutions to determine the best one.
- Communicates with clients to analyse and establish business requirements; researches, develops, and implements appropriate technical solutions to adapt client requirements to existing systems; documents new systems and processses; and ensures that projects are completed within the agreed time frame.
- Researched, designed, and implemented AWS cloud infrastructure for a client requiring encrypted private communication to access network. Created private VPC connected to client via IPsec VPN tunnels with BGP propagated routes; arranged and successfully migrated live service to new platform with minimal disruption and within the agreed time frame.
- Administered, configured, and maintained ~200 Linux-based production servers.
- Designed, developed, and tested broadcast technologies and Linux-based systems used to collect reference data.
- Ensured reference data quality via Nagios-based monitoring system and performed in-depth analysis of collected reference data.
- Supervised data centre operations and worked with the broadcast technicians to ensure effective working of the data centre and that all daily operational requirements were met.
- Designed and successfully developed Linux-based prototype to take transponder DVB streams and stream the individual video and audio components via a local multicast network; developed referencing clients to receive multicast streams and route audio to an appropriate virtual sound card for collection by referencing software. Project represented a leap from analog to digital audio referencing with significant potential space and cost savings as a result.
- Administered a production network of 50+ users. Administered all internal office technology, including installation, configuration, and repair of all employee machines and office hardware, as well as management and troubleshooting of all servers and network technology.
- Managed UK computer repair workshop to repair ~40 servers per week, repairing and shipping customer units within the requirements of strict SLAs. Remotely supported and provided technical support to ~1000 customer sites across the UK on a daily basis.
- Logged repair details and stock usage in asset tracking system in order to track stock usage and business costs; ensured enough stock was available and placed orders with suppliers when required.
- Designed and implemented a multi-site Active Directory controlled network which allowed all offices across the UK to access resources located externally via VPN connection. Migrated to Active Directory domain control with no loss of productivity.
- Identified common hardware failure points and revised workshop diagnostic and repair methods accordingly. Reduced computer workshop expenditure and improved hardware stability and repair success rate.
- Developed client relationships in order to ensure client satisfaction and turn business
- Communicated with clients directly to discuss repair needs, installation requirements, and costs
- Provided hardware and network installation services for clients
- Suggested hardware and software solutions within the budgets of the customer
- Travelled to and from customer sites to perform required work
- Selected Highlights: Database Design, Spreadsheet Modelling, Website Development, Systems Analysis and Design, Information Systems, Impact of the Use of IT on Business Systems
- Final Grade: Distinction* Distinction
- Contributed hundreds of updates to project to keep book up-to-date with current LFS
- Wrote scripts, patches, and commands - largely a variety of Bash, C, Sed, and Awk - to fix software bugs and issues with compilation; and sourced patches, information, and fixes from various locations across the Internet
- Interacted with other editors daily with frequent discussions about best practices and methods of development
- Used ticket system daily to assign jobs for software compilation and bug tracking
Akixi provides SaaS PBX call monitoring and reporting to the global telecommunications industry. The Akixi service subscribes to and receives live call events from a telephony platform -- either On Premise PBX or Hosted PBX (such as BroadSoft BroadWorks) -- via a permanent connection, and builds call reports using a database of historical call data and current live call status. The Akixi service is a powerful tool to allow businesses insight into agent activity, abandoned calls, call volumes, and potential lost revenue.
Kantar Media UK are the core supplier of the official TV viewing data to the Broadcasters' Audience Research Board (BARB) for all of the broadcast channels in the UK.
Zoom Media UK are the leading supplier of broadcast systems to deliver advertising driven music entertainment to the health & fitness industry. Clients included LA Fitness, David Lloyd, Fitness First, Virgin Active, Everyone Active, Nuffield Health, and The Gym.
Provided repair services to the domestic market, servicing computer systems, installing home networks, and suggesting software and hardware solutions.
Promoted to full-time editor of BLFS. Performed role in conjunction with freelance work, utilising spare time to write instructions for the compilation of Linux software packages and supporting BLFS user base.